BF Adventure Outdoor Instructor Apprenticeships
Next programme will be starting Autumn 2017
- Hours: 35 hours a week, including weekends and evenings
- Location: BF Adventure and other site in Cornwall
- Start Date:
- Finish date:
- Application deadline:
- Interview Dates:
BF Adventure is a Charity and outdoor activity centre (open to the public) based near Falmouth and Penryn in Cornwall.
“Inspiring, challenging and motivating people, especially young people, to develop their life skills to bring about positive change”
Every year BF Adventure, formerly known as Bishop’s Forum, helps hundreds of disadvantaged and disabled children and adults in Cornwall to believe in themselves and gain the skills and accreditations to succeed at school or to find employment.
On 60 acres of land including three former granite quarries, we also offer exciting adventure activities, corporate team building days, private parties, schools & clubs and our very popular holiday adventure days for children aged 7+ years.
We have been running apprenticeships for three years and we are very proud to be able to continue this into our 4th year. This is a very practical and hands on course where candidates will immerse themselves in the outdoors and will be very hands on with groups working towards running sessions in 2017.
This programme is for people who really want to develop their outdoor skills and who are considering a career in the outdoor industry.
Who can become an apprentice?
- You must be 18 years old from the 1st February 2018
- You must be meet the apprentice criteria, this will be discussed at interview
- You must not hold a NVQ level 2 award in activity leadership or a Higher Education qualification at foundation level or above
What will the course cost me?
There are no course fees as these will paid for you by BF Adventure. You will however be expected to:
- Provide some basic equipment and clothing (see below)
- Become members of the British Canoe Union (around £40)
- Register for the British Canoe Union Level 1 course (around £50)
- Travel to and from BF adventure
- Provide your own lunch
What will you need?
We will be training all over the winter so being comfortable, dry and warm in the elements is essential.
- Provide you with all specialist equipment such as harnesses, helmets, Buoyancy aids, kayaks etc
- Provide you with basic uniform which includes T shirts and hoodies
You will need:
- A good waterproof coat and trousers
- Good footwear and wellies
- Warm clothes such as fleece and thermal layers
- Hats and gloves
- To be able to travel to and from BF Adventure
Equipment we would also suggest but is not essential are:
- Good winter wetsuit
- Wetsuit boots
- Kayak style cag
What will you get from the programme?
The main benefit of the programme will be the vast experience you will be exposed to in terms of staff you will meet and also the clients you will work with. On top of this there will be a string of qualifications you will gain:
- BCU Level 1 coach
- BCU Foundation safety and Rescue training
- BCU 2 star
- ITC first aid at work
- In house awards for:
- Zip wire
- Team building sessions
- Personal development theory sessions
- NVQ level 2
- College support
- Sick and holiday entitlement
- Basic uniform
Following the years apprenticeship there are several route for progression, these include:
- Direct entry into seasonal work with employers all over the world- one of our first year apprentices has spent the past two seasons working in America
- Entry into advanced level apprentices
- Opportunities into employment at BF Adventure- we currently have in our staff team apprentices from all 3 years of the programme working as Activity Instructors and in our core delivery staff team
How to apply
Application is easy! Simply complete an application form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you would like to have a discussion about the apprenticeship please call Tony Baker who is very happy to discuss the programme with you and if you like can arrange for a site visit to take place.